Ads

Sunday, November 15, 2009

New Feature

In the course of assisting a client with a trademark matter, I began thinking about all the decisions that eventually brought this client to my attention. While the hows and whys of the pertinent legal matter should always take precedence, I began to ask the client about their general impression of intellectual property law. More importantly, I began asking about what it meant to them before it became a focus of a dispute.

I think many practitioners fail to understand that the general public is largely aware of intellectual property concepts, but don't always know the best way to take advantage of the rights that our system provides. Much like in health care, IP practice focuses a lot of its time on preventable issues, that were never prevented.

I decided to get some data on what intellectual property producers think about IP, especially before it becomes something that is knocking on the front door of their livelihood. Issues like why producers opt for cheap invention services, why people fail to get federal copyrights or file for trademarks. My assumptions led me to believe, again like health care, that is was an issue of money. The capital outlay for preventative legal actions was seen as a waste of money, while remedial legal actions were undertaken as a option of last resort. In my interviews, I found this to be generally correct, however, there is a vista of thoughts, emotions and pre-conceptions that go into producer decisions.

In the coming weeks, there will be a new feature which will relate some of my interviews with designers, programmers, inventors and other producers of intellectual property. Hopefully to convey their impressions of our field and how those impressions influence their work, their decisions to hire attorneys, and their decisions to take action against other producers. Through these interviews, IP practitioners can learn as much about the people we seek to help as they learn about our field.

These posts will be labeled [Producer Profiles].

[GA]

No comments:

Post a Comment